Specialized Telecommunications Assistance Program (STAP)
Texas residents may be eligible to receive financial assistance for the purchase of a specialized assistive equipment or services through the Specialized Telecommunications Assistance Program (STAP). The purpose of STAP is to help people with disabilities buy specialized equipment they need in order to use basic telephone services. STAP vouchers are issued by the Texas Department of Assistive and Rehabilitative Services (DARS) and STAP vendors are reimbursed by the Public Utilities Commission of Texas (PUC).
What type of equipment is available to purchase?
- TTY, large visual display (LVD) TTYs
- Amplified phones and ring/flashers
- Voice carry-over and hearing carry-over telephones
- In-home notification systems for phone
- TTY software
- Other adaptive equipment needed to connect to the telephone system
For more information about STAP including a voucher application: